Friday 2 September 2011

#49: Alter Bridge - AB III

File:AB III.jpg

Slip To The Void
Isolation
Ghost Of Days Gone By
All Hope Is Gone
Still Remains
Make It Right
Wonderful Life
I Know It Hurts
Show Me A Sign
Fallout
Breathe Again
Coeur d'Alene
Life Must Go On
Words Darker Than Their Wings

All Songs Written By Alter Bridge

Myles Kennedy - vocals, guitar, keyboards
Mark Tremonti - guitar, backing vocals, bass
Brian Marshall - bass
Scott Phillips - drums, percussion
String arrangements by Michael Baskette and Dave Holdredge
Produced by Michael Baskette

Label - Roadrunner Records

I'd never really listened to Alter Bridge properly until the release of this album. After hearing Myles Kennedy's vocals on Slash's solo album, and not being impressed I didn't really see much need for listening to them either. Especially not with the only other thing I knew about them being the rest of the band are all members of Creed (hardly a positive).
It turns out that free of Scott Stapp, Alter Bridge are a bona fide sensation of a hard rock band. And that on this album at least, Myles sings what is appropriate for the songs, instead of his seeming to compete with the guitar like he seemed to on Slash's album. When Myles goes high, it's because he needs to go high.
As album openers go, 'Slip To The Void' is one of the best in recent memory, and they hardly let up from there.

I immediately listened to their first two albums and found that those are equally as strong, so it wasn't just a one-off. I'm not going to call myself a convert to being a big Alter Bridge fan, but they're definitely great to listen to.

Listen Here: Alter Bridge – AB III

1 comment:

  1. AR...the snark is just brilliant. I can't decide whether the shots taken at Creed here or the ones in the review of We Are the Fallen rank is my favorites, but I can say that I am looking forward to the rest of these. Especially ones in which I disagree :)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.